Hello, This is another reminder to review the accuracy of your W9 Information for 1099-MISC tax forms for the year 2010. For more information on how to do this, please read this blog post.
- PLEASE NOTE that eBay Partner Network (ePN) will be sending a 1099 to the ePN account holder that was listed on each account as of December 31, 2010. We unfortunately can’t make any exceptions.
- eBay Partner Network Forms 1099-MISC will be postmarked via US Postal Service no later than January 31, 2011. You can find additional information about the 1099-MISC Form from the IRS website, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf.
Here are a few questions that have come up on 1099s:
- When do I receive a 1099 Form from eBay Partner Network? IRS regulations mandate that 1099-MISC forms be distributed no later than January 31st of the year following payment. Forms 1099-MISC is mailed via the US Postal Service no later than January 31st. Please allow time for delivery. For FY2010, ePN will be sending you a 1099-MISC Form no later than January 31, 2011.
- Which 1099 Form will I receive from eBay Partner Network? You will receive the 1099-MISC form from eBay Partner Network.
- What is a 1099-MISC and what does it mean? A 1099-MISC is an information return. An information return is a tax document businesses are required to file to report certain business transactions to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The requirement to file Information Returns is mandated by the Internal Revenue Service and associated regulations. It is used to report miscellaneous income paid to individuals and companies who have received $600 or more other income payments during a calendar year. For more information, please read: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf
- What is reported on the 1099-MISC form? Form 1099-MISC is used to report payments made in the course of a trade or business to another person or business who is not an employee. The form is required to be filed when $600 or more in other income is paid. The form is provided by the payer (eBay Partner Network) to the IRS and the person or business that received the payment.
- What is the difference between a Form W-2 and a Form 1099-MISC? Both of these forms are called information returns. The Form W-2 is used by employers to report wages, tips and other compensation paid to an employee. The form also reports the employee’s income tax and Social Security taxes withheld and any advanced earned income credit payments. The Form W-2 is provided by the employer to the employee and the Social Security Administration. A Form 1099-MISC is used to report payments made in the course of a trade or business to another person or business who is not an employee. The form is required among other things, when payments of $10 or more in gross royalties or $600 or more in rents or other income payments are paid. The form is provided by the payer to the IRS and the person or business that received the payment.
- I didn’t receive the 1099-MISC form. What should I do? The 2010 Form 1099-MISC will be mailed by January 31, 2011. Please allow for normal delivery time. If you have not received your 1099-MISC form by February 7, 2011, contact us at ePNemail@example.com to order a duplicate copy of your 2010 1099-MISC form. If you need copies of your 2008 or 2009 1099-MISC Forms, please contact us at ePNfirstname.lastname@example.org as well.
- What happens if I have questions relating to amount, payment details, incorrect Tax ID or name listed on the 1099-MISC form? Please contact us at ePNemail@example.com.
- What happens if I the amount, payment details, Tax ID or name listed on the 1099-MISC form is incorrect? Please contact us at ePNfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- Which payments are included on the 2010 1099-MISC form? The 2010 1099-MISC form reflects all amounts paid during the 2010 tax year by eBay Partner Network, regardless of the month in which the amounts were earned. The 2010 1099-MISC form includes payments with issue dates from January 1, 2010, through December 31, 2010. Any payments issued after January 1, 2011, for your eBay Partner Network earnings from the month of December 2010 will be on the 2011 1099-MISC form.
- Does an incorrect address on my 1099-MISC form affect its validity? An incorrect address does not affect the validity of a Form 1099-MISC. Notify us at ePNemail@example.com of any address change or log-in to your eBay Partner Network account and change the address in your W9 online tax form to ensure prompt delivery of your future 1099-MISC forms. Address changes made after December 31, 2010 will not be reflected on the 2010 1099-MISC form.
- Where can I find additional information? All the information provided above is from the IRS website, www.irs.gov. Any additional details can be found on their website.
Best regards, The eBay Partner Network Team