The API (Application Programming Interface) is one of the most powerful ePN tools available. Not only does it give you access to all of eBay’s inventory, but it also enables you to customize listings to optimize your campaigns and improve your conversion rates.
The API allows publishers with deeper programming knowledge to fully customize the user experience, while considerably enhancing your chances to boost your performance. Here are a few things you’ll need to know:
What can I do with the API?
The API is the most open and powerful tool for tailoring eBay listings to work harmoniously with your site. There is also functionality to integrate ePN reports within your own backend systems for a more streamlined way to monitor your performance.
Customizing eBay listings
You can use the API to personalize eBay’s listings according to filters, thus maximizing your performance potential. There are multiple types of calls and filters available for you to experiment with to find the mix that works best for your visitors.
For example, a comparison website might use the API to display eBay products that are sold by top rated sellers, above a certain amount, and with free shipping, which could help drastically improve conversion rates.
How do I access the API?
First, apply to join the Developers Program here. After you have been accepted, go to “My Account” and click on “Generate Productions Keys” to get an Application ID.
Then, begin by picking a call, checking out the sample code and testing using your Application ID.
From there, you can build your app, test it and have it approved by the eBay Developer Program to start making up to 5,000 requests per IP per day. For more details, check out the Checklist for Going Live.
What are the different APIs available? How can I filter my listings?
Though we have a number of APIs, the most popular ones are the Finding API and the Shopping API.
The Finding API enables you to search for items using eBay's Finding Platform. This API allows advanced search capabilities for eBay items, while providing useful metadata to refine searches and enhance the search experience.
Calls available in the Finding API include:
- findItemsAdvanced - Advanced search capabilities
- findItemsByCategory - Search items in a category
- findItemsByProduct - Search items by a product identifier
The Shopping API is optimized for response size, speed and usability. You can use the Shopping API to search for eBay items, products and reviews, user info, as well as popular items and searches. You can also retrieve public eBay data in a buyer-friendly view, for easy consumption by widgets, search tools, and other buyer-focused applications.
Calls available in the Shopping API include:
- FindProducts - Search for products on eBay via keyword or Product ID
- GetSingleItem - Simplified buyer-specific view of item data
- GetMultipleItems - Retrieve data from multiple items in a single request
- FindPopularSearches - Retrieve popular and related search keywords by category or keyword
There are also additional APIs that can help you create great content and experiences for your users, including:
- Merchandising API - Provides you with an easy way to surface available items and products that provide good value or are otherwise popular with eBay buyers
- Trading API - Offers secure, authenticated access to private eBay data
- Best Match API - Enables you to understand key factors affecting search ranking when sorted by Best Match
We hope you find this overview useful. If you think a deeper dive into the API would be helpful, please let us know! Feel free to post your comments below and we’ll be happy to help answer any questions!