So your users are clicking on your eBay links - a vital step on the way to purchase - terrific! But what happens after the click? What is the optimal eBay landing page to direct your traffic to in order to close the deal?
There are many destinations on eBay, and while one destination may convert well for one partner’s traffic, it’ll miss the mark for another. Selection largely comes down to user intent, and where the user is in the purchasing cycle.
A few tips before you start:
- Always keep the user experience in mind: Does the landing page match what you show on your website? How will this look to the user? Make sure the landing page is relevant and consistent with the overall content and the link or ad your user clicks on to get to the landing page.
- Test and experiment: You may be surprised by which landing page configurations actually convert best. Using ePN tracking parameters such as Campaign ID and Custom ID, you can experiment and test sending your traffic to different landing pages. Your Transaction Download Reports may yield great insights into which experience users actually prefer and which experience — and landing page — leads to better conversions.
- Use the Link Generator: the Link Generator, which you can find in the Tools section of the ePN interface, helps you build trackable links to all pages and is adoptable for all types of business models.
Landing pages can have a substantial influence on the user’s entire shopping experience, as well as your conversion rates. Read on for insight into which eBay pages work best, based on where a user is in the purchase cycle.
Selecting an eBay Landing Page
(Click images to enlarge)
- Point in purchase consideration cycle: The user has not made a decision on a specific product, category or deal yet, and is simply browsing at this point.
The eBay homepage is one of the most visited sites on the web. It was recently restructured to not only show the latest offers and deals in a highly personalized manner. For traffic that doesn’t have a specific niche or theme, the eBay homepage can be a good fit for users who are just beginning their search.
- Point in purchase consideration cycle: The user is interested in a specific product category, but may still be researching available options, product brands, product types within a brand, prices and more.
For some of the most popular categories such as Fashion, Electronics and Home & Garden, eBay has dedicated hubs that show the latest offers and deals, as well as menu options for sub-categories to help narrow a search. These hubs can be great landing pages for category-specific traffic for users who want to explore a specific theme or area.
Search Result Page
- Point in purchase consideration cycle: The user is narrowing in on a specific product type, possibly still considering different product types within a specific brand, or exploring price ranges. Getting closer to purchase.
The Search Result page delivers results for any search or keyword the user is looking for, so it can be used in a very flexible way. It is also highly configurable. Filters for specific attributes can be used, e.g., for fixed-price vs. auctions, new vs. pre-owned, free shipping, etc. You can also select List View or Gallery View for the search results, which can influence your conversion rates. We recommend testing different options to see which configuration works best for your audience.
- Point in purchase consideration cycle: The user may be looking for a specific product or may simply be browsing for available deals. They could be ready to make purchase if presented with a deal at the right price.
The Deals pages display the best deals and offers on eBay, including Daily Deals, Top Picks, category-specific offers and more. These pages can provide ideas and inspiration for the cost-conscious customer. They tend to convert well with users who may not have a specific item in mind, but are browsing for good deals and stumble upon an item at a great price.
View Item Page
- Point in purchase consideration cycle: The user is focused on a specific product type with specifications and options. They are ready to make purchase.
The View Item Page is the landing page to use to direct a user to a specific item. It’s laser-focused with the details (title, price, description, images, seller, shipping information and more) of the item you have specified, making it easy for the user to start the purchase process immediately.
Hybrid Landing Page
- Point in purchase consideration cycle: The user is focused on a specific product type, with specifications and options. They are ready to make purchase.
A more recent addition landing page option is the Hybrid Landing Page. Though similar to the View Item Page, it’s not as focused on one single item.
The Hybrid Landing Page features additional high-level item details to provide additional purchase choices. For example, if a user wants to see items from a different seller, only Buy It Now items or free shipping items, they can do so without leaving the page or hitting the back button.
To get a Hybrid Landing Page URL for any listing, simply add /like/ in front of the item ID.
URL example (not live listing):
- VIP url: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350915027604
- HLP url: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350915027604
Another interesting feature of the HLP is that you can customize the page to highlight alternative item choices. By making simple URL structure changes, the following information can be included on the page. (Keep in mind that these parameters designate the selection of products shown below the main item to which you link.)
URL examples – not live listings.
Listing type – Buy It Now or Auction:
- BIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310822884088?format=1
- Auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310822884088?format=2
View type – List or Gallery:
- List view – http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310822884088?hlpv=1
- Gallery view – http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310822884088?hlpv=2
Condition – New or Used:
- New – http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310822884088?cond=1
- Used – http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310822884088?cond=2
Free Shipping – Show items only with Free Shipping:
Top Rated Sellers – Show only items from Top Rated Sellers:
You can also combine parameters, such as the one below, to show BINs and TRS:
We’re eager to answer any questions you may have about these landing pages. Please feel free to leave questions in the comment section below.