For more than two decades, eBay has been the world’s premier destination for the most sought after artwork and collectibles on the web. From the record-breaking Mickey Mantle baseball card (sold for $468K) to the most expensive comic book ever sold (Action Comics #1, sold for $3.2M), a Collectibles product is sold every 22 seconds on eBay.
Like Home & Garden, Fashion and Motors, Collectibles is a top performing category that provides you with significant opportunities to optimize your business for high-paying conversions, and it pays you 50% of eBay’s revenue share on eligible transactions.
1) Align your campaigns with key cultural moments
There are multiple events throughout the year that should be on your radar. For example, last week’s Comic Con* and Worldcon conventions are the perfect time to promote collectible science fiction and cult classic television shows and movies -- not just for those attending, but also for those fans that aren’t able to get there. Similarly, look for special eBay events around eagerly anticipated franchise movie releases. (For example, this summer’s release of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom).
*Right now, you can take advantage of our San Diego Comic Con event offering Comic Con-exclusive Funko Pops, now through July 31!
Expert tip: Follow our advice on how to Monetize Your Content in 15 Minutes or Less with this Easy Ad Calendar, so your campaigns don’t miss out on high, conversion-driving moments.
2) Niches are riches. Make your site a one-stop-shop for the most in-demand items.
30% of eBay’s collectible buyers have household incomes of $100K+. Make it easy for these avid collectors to find exactly what they are looking for by promoting niche categories, boosted by the most-searched shopping keywords.
Some fast-selling niche categories include:
● Animation art & characters: Includes Hello Kitty and Anime, two of the biggest collectible markets
● Comic books: Also includes figurines, manga and more
● Disneyana: Collectibles from the Magic Kingdom are always in demand
● Funko: The hottest, most highly sought after bobbleheads
● Militaria: For those who want to own a piece of history
● Star Wars: This iconic, evergreen category gets even hotter when new movies are released
● Trading cards: The perennial collectible, includes sports and non-sports (i.e. Pokémon, Star Trek) alike
Explore more on our Collectibles landing page.
Expert tip: Integrate your site with the Finding and Shopping APIs so that your audience can search eBay’s best inventory and dive into listing details all inside of your web interface. See how Collector’s Weekly does it here.
3) Leverage exclusive events from world-renowned vendors
In the world of collectibles, there are highly coveted brands that collectors actively, and enthusiastically, seek out. Take advantage of eBay exclusive deals and events with obsession-worthy vendors, like Ceramic Treasures with Rae Dunn. We also partner with leading collectibles sellers, such as PWCC Auctions, LLC, and leverage comprehensive marketplace data to give your audience the most unique purchase opportunities on the web.
Expert tip: Fill your buyers with confidence by highlighting eBay’s brand promises in your content. Not only do all eBay Deals ship for free, but many are also covered by our new Best Price Guarantee, as well as our Guaranteed Delivery.
4) Learn from the pros. Current partner and art collector Bill Cox began promoting eBay after Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc on the Southeastern United States in 2005 in order to aid relief efforts.
Since he has started highlighting the auctions on his site, ComicArtFans.com, Bill now says: "EPN has become my primary source of revenue," Bill says. “And my community of users values the time I spend picking things out for them."
Bill’s expert tip: Bill uses Smart Placements and eBay APIs to deliver a thriving marketplace that gives its users more of what they love, and additional options to acquire it. Also, make sure you check the “Auto-Optimization” checkbox when building your Smart Placements banner to ensure that you’re displaying the most relevant listings to each of your individual visitors’ recent web activity..
Have questions or feedback about how you can earn more with eBay Collectibles? Email us anytime at AskEPN@ebay.com.