First-minute shoppers are firing up their devices, ready to score the best online deals on gifts for their loved ones. In addition to serving as the top destination for everyone’s wish list - from the childhood classics to the newest, most impossible-to-find toys - our experts are here to help you take advantage of the top trends you can expect from your audience this year.
Start with this handy playbook, which can serve as your official guide on how to maximize on all things “Holiday” with eBay in the 2018 season. The playbook includes a promotional calendar detailing key dates, coupons and events, our digital hub of this season’s predicted best sellers, trending item data and more. We’re also providing vibrant creatives that are great for captivating your audience and getting more clicks. Bookmark it and be sure to check back often as we’ll be updating it regularly with information and resources to help you throughout the holidays.
Based on eBay data and expert opinions, we’re also giving you an inside look at this season’s top 8 trends for toys. The list includes a little something for everyone from collectible surprises and outdoor activities to disgustingly awesome gifts for someone with a high “ew” tolerance. You can see how these trends rank with our list of predicted Top 50 Toys for 2018.
1. Surprise Matters: In the past six months, more than 148,000 L.O.L. Surprise toys sold on eBay, and Hatchinmals are currently one of the top 15 most popular toys in terms of sales, so it’s no surprise they will be continue to be giant hits this season! If you missed out on the “toys that surprise” trend last year, now’s the time to take advantage. Promote the new kids on the block, which are sure to put a smile on kids’ faces: Feisty Pets, loveable Lil’ Gleemerz, Scruff-a-Luvs and Party Popteenies.
2. Furry Friends: Adding a furry friend to the family will leave your audience feeling warm and fuzzy. Our favorites include Crate Creatures, FurReal Ricky, WowWee Fingerlings Hugs Bella, Pomsies, WowWee Fingerlings Untamed Raptors, and Crayola Scribble Scrubbies Color & Wash Collectible Toy Pets.
3. Disgustingly Awesome: Some of this year’s top toys get silly, gross and sometimes smelly - literally. New games and toys like Don't Step In It! and WowWee’s What’s that Smell? will keep your buyers laughing throughout the holiday season. Slime and squishy sequins also continue topping the list with new toys like the Poopsie Surprise Unicorn and Shimmeez.
4.Comeback Kids: Tug at your audience’s nostalgic heartstrings by promoting the newest generation of old favorites -- Polly Pocket, My Little Pony, NERF and LEGOs have been revamped and are sure to top both kids’ and parents’ wishlists.
5. Tech It Out: With technology constantly evolving, toys are getting smarter and more high-tech just as quickly. This season’s top techie toys include Air Hog Supernova flying orb, FurReal Munchin Rex and Baby Alive Super Snacks Snackin’ dolls. The PlayStation Mini, which is said to release this December, is also predicted to top the best-seller list.
6. Action Packed: Marvel's Spider-Man video game and limited-edition PS4 Pro bundle generated an 89% increase in PS4 sales following its’ fall release, so it’s sure to top superhero fans’ lists. For those into magic, Harry Potter is still on top of the wishlist with the LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Great Hall being one of the most popular items for the season. Other top gift picks this year include everything from Transformers Energon Igniters Nitro Series Bumblebee to pocket-sized Aquaman and Fortnite Funko Pops.
7. Never Board: There’s nothing like bonding over a board game! Whether your audience is into the classics or the latest pop-culture phenomenon, Monopoly Fornite has something for everyone. If your shoppers are looking for guaranteed laughs Pie Face Cannon Game and Soggy Doggy are the way to go.
8. Unplugged Fun: Help your audience disconnect by sparking imaginations and encouraging creativity with gifts like the KidKraft Storybook Mansion, the Cool Maker KumiKreator Friendship Bracelet Maker, the Wonder Workshop Dash Robot or the Fisher Price Think & Learn Rocktopus. You can also get your shoppers moving by promoting bikes, scooters and cars. Our top picks include the Razor E175 Motorized 24V Kids Scooter and the Pocket Bike 40cc 4-Stroke Engine.
With a selection only eBay’s marketplace can deliver, your shoppers can find in-demand holiday toys and gifts at eBay.com/toytopia all season long. If you’re looking for even more ideas beyond the top 8, check out this post which details our top 50 list - with something for everyone! Don’t forget to check out our holiday playbook to help you cash in on even more sales this season.
Let us know what trends you’re excited to highlight for the holidays in the comments below! And if you have any questions, you can always reach out to our Customer Support at AskEPN@eBay.com.